Teaching Tips for McGuffey Second Reader
Click here to see a few sample lesson plans for the Second Reader.
The McGuffey Readers are an excellent choice for children's reading material regardless of the Language Arts curriculum you decide to use. The following teaching tips will help you incorporate the Readers into your choice of Language Arts programs.
1. The lessons from the McGuffey Readers should be considered as read-a-loud selections where the students read the passage out loud to parents or teachers. Students should practice their oral reading skills with correct pronunciation and articulation.
2. Allow the child's understanding and skill to determine the pace. Generally, you will be able to complete one lesson per week. A child may be reading from the McGuffey Second Reader for more than two years. The schedule shown above is an approximation only.
4. By following a pace of one lesson per week, students should have time to add other books at their level. Visit the library often. Encourage students to find books at their reading level that they will enjoy reading out loud or silently to themselves.
5. Each lesson has a list of words at the end of the lesson. Consider using these words as vocabulary and spelling words for the week.
5. Students may consider how they can practice the positive characteristics that are depicted in each lesson. The list of topics and themes to the right identifies these characteristics.
6. Click here to see a few sample lesson plans for the Second Reader.
Topic and Themes
The topics and themes for these lessons are groups into categories of "heart potential". Every human heart has the potential for development and growth so that ultimately it can experience the greatest joy and respond with pure love and understanding to others. While students read the lessons in the Second reader, they may also awaken and nourish these attributes within their own hearts.
Lessons 1-4: Learning and Growth
Lessons 5-7: Choice and Accountability
Lessons 8-11: Inspired Enthusiasm
Lessons 12-14: Constructive Thought and Action
Lessons 15-19: Kindness and Mercy
Lessons 20-21: Strength and Endurance
Lessons 22-24: Diligence and Commitment
Lessons 25-27: Humble and Steadfast
Lessons 28-30: Wisdom and Reverence
Lessons 31-33: Self Confidence and Objectivity
Lessons 34-36: Self Determination and Decisiveness
Lessons 37-40: Good will and warm-hearted
Lessons 41-43: Serenity and Cheerfulness
Lessons 44-47: Nobility and Leadership
Lessons 48-50: Hope and Optimism
Lessons 51-55: Joy and Devotion
Lessons 56-57: Cheerful Courage
Lessons 58-59, 62-63: Inspired Creativity
Lessons 61-62, 64-65: Mental Dexterity
Lessons 66-69: Order and Security
Lessons 70-72: Leadership and Devotion
Lessons 73-76: Steadfast and Meek
Lessons 77-78: Pioneer Spirit
Lessons 79-82: Transformation and Deliverance
Lessons 83-85: Gratitude and Reverence